You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Longines’ tag.
Every year I like to buy myself either a new watch, or a new pair of sunglasses. Over the last two years because of work/financial situations I’ve been conservative on purchases only buying a pair of Ray Ban Caravans because I actually needed new sunglasses. I don’t need a new watch right now even though I am eyeballing that Longines Hydroconquest Chronograph with the rubber strap. Like the watch, these Persol sunglasses would be an unnecessary, yet wonderfully luxurious purchase. The lenses are probably as wide, but not as tall as say a Ray Ban Wayfarer. Like my every day glasses, these fit my face properly, and damn do I love the color.
I’m not gonna lie – like the watch, these shades are inspired by Casino Royale. Daniel Craig wears this exact model in a few scenes. Pierce Brosnan & George Clooney have even been spotted in these. And who wouldn’t aspire to be at least one of those guys for a day, or to at least look as cool as the do in sunglasses?
That’s what I thought.
Regular readers of Crabapple know that there are few things I covet in life more that watches, sunglasses, and socks. I find myself buying socks more often than I care to admit – saving the larger scale purchasing of the other two for more prosperous and special occasions.
A few years ago I picked up the Longines Hydroconquest Automatic with the stainless steel bracelet at a sample sale in New York for probably about a third of the retail selling price. I wear this watch probably 80% of the time. The other 20% I switch between a Tissot with a brown leather strap, two dressier watches from Longines and Raymond Weil, and a couple Timberland watches. Read the rest of this entry »
Aside from all things food & drink, my obsessions these days (always) seem to be watches, sunglasses, & cameras. Traditionally I’ve purchased for myself a new watch in the winter, and a new pair of sunglasses in the spring. My last watch purchase was the Longines which I wear most days since my wife has commandeered my vintage Omega.
I bought that in November 2008, I think. 2009 was no year for me to buy a new watch. Read the rest of this entry »
So, you remember all my rambling on about the Oris watch? Yeah, I’m setting that aside for a while. One of the best things about living and working in NYC is all the sample sales. It seems that every week there is a different sample sale for all tastes. Last week I checked out Hugo Boss and bought some socks. (I needed socks) Barneys has a warehouse sale twice a year (which has pretty good deals, and I intend to hit up to buy a suit for my wedding.) Over the summer I spend $30 in three ties (yes, total of $30) at John Varvatos. Yeah, I try to dress well, but I rarely pay retail.
So, if I don’t pay retail for clothing, why should I pay it for a watch? Enter this week’s Swatch brands sample sale on 18th Street between 6th & 7th Avenues. Swatch currently owns numerous brands including Omega (James Bond), Longines, Rado, Hamilton, Tissot, Calvin Klein, Timberland, and a few others I’d never heard of. I’m not going to write exactly what I paid today, but just know that it was 70% off retail. It’s automatic, and looks just as good, if not better than the Oris.
I’m pretty happy about this purchase, and will be even happier when I have it sized, and it’s on my wrist. It’s not a James Bond Omega, but then again, neither am I.